Friday, January 1, 2016

Here's to 2015!

**Welcome to this post. I have always wanted a blog, always said I would do it, and have not followed through. And of course, there is a certain degree of self-consciousness when letting people read my writing that is not academic or overviews of my travels or what I have been up to.  Even though I had two previous posts on this thing, here's a fresh start. I can't promise what it will contain, but I'm assuming my stories, adventures, work, passions, and people (and maybe an opinion or two) will have a chance to have the spotlight.**

2015 was the year my adulthood finally clicked into place. A job that I loved and managed to land by the skin of my teeth in 2014 became my first full time, non-consultant position. I moved into my own, perfect apartment in a blizzard, to which I just excitedly re-upped my lease. I got a beautiful car for the first time after deciding to retire the Sara-Mobile. While my job stresses me out more than one would hope, I finally have that comfort of stability that I have been longing for in the past five and a half years since finishing school, and yet have never been able to obtain. I do my job well and people notice that I do my job well, I have a wonderful work family, I am always learning, and most importantly, I see the impact that I make everyday. However, in this current state of stability, I came to a realization about a third of the way through the year: I am not going to have an ordinary life.

This is not a declaration.  I am not just deciding to be different, thinking that I am too good for ordinary things and people. My whole life, I have striven for ordinary! Yes, I do consider myself the creative, artistic type, but I have always dreamed of a steady job, home, family and kids, and I have always worried that if I don't accomplish these things, I've failed, plain and simple. But while I've been "failing" (my words), I've done some incredible things: things I never thought I would do, or things I would not been able to do if I had achieved my ordinary.

Two years ago, having checked into my hotel in Budapest with snow falling out my window, starting my first adventure in Europe after a rough first few months in Israel, I sat and realized that I had been waiting so long to take off that I didn't realize I was already flying. I was doing and seeing things I never had dreamed of, and would not have been able to do if I hadn't been out of work and unattached. This year, I took my first "adult" trip to Israel to be there for my dear friend's wedding. It's amazing to have a job and be able to take vacation now for my travels, but I know that I wouldn't be here without having thrown myself into the unknown and taken chances when I was "down on my luck" (my words then, not now). I firmly don't believe that everything happens for a reason, but I know that everything that has happened has brought me to this now.

So here is to the year past: though it wasn't all roses and no thorns, it was a great one indeed.  I look forward to seeing where 2016 takes me and my loved ones, and to the adventures that I make for myself.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these personal reflections with us Sara. I enjoyed having this little peak into your last year, as we haven't seen very much of one another lately. And by the way ... your writing style is very easy to read and flows nicely from thought to thought. I hope you keep 'blogging'. Hugs to you, Jody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jody! Your kind feedback means a lot and I hope you keep reading...and give me a nudge if I stop! Maybe we can try to find some extra time to catch up around the Networker? It will be here before we know it! Much love!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're not ordinary because then you wouldn't be the Sara I know and love. I love that you're taking the path that's right for you and I know it will lead to on great adventures. <3 Ava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had traveled an ordinary path you would not be in my life! What an awful life that would be!

      Delete